It's SMART to think about what you might want to discuss at your next doctor's appointment. Here are some suggestions. Remember- it's okay to start the conversation yourself.
starting the conversation
- Can our conversations be confidential?
- Are you the right person to ask about female health care?
- I think I might be LGBTQ; can I talk to you about that?
managing your period/fertility
- Can I make my periods lighter, shorter, less painful, or go away completely?
- I am taking medication to control my period. Does this medication interfere with my other ones?
- Can I get pregnant?
accessing women's healthcare
- I heard I need a Pap test to screen for cervical cancer at age 21. Who should do it?
- How should I prepare for my Pap test?
- What does a healthy romantic or sexual relationship look like?
- Sometimes my partner tries to control me; what should I do?
- I have had sex when it wasn't my choice; who can I talk to?
testing for (and preventing) sexually transmitted infections (sti's)
- Have I had the required doses of the Human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine to help prevent cervical cancer?
- Can you test me for STI's using urine? What STI's should I be tested for?
- Can you show me how to use a condom correctly?
What do you want to know?
Write down any questions that you think are important - the appointment is all about you!
Write down any question that YOU think are important! This appointment is all about YOU!