PCA Job Description for an Adult
I am looking for a competent personal care assistant to care for me in a professional and compassionate manner. It’s often a demanding job, as you will need to have some flexibility in your work schedule. This position can be very satisfying and rewarding. I am employed, and I do the majority of my work productivity at home. I have an accessible van for transportation and there will be occasions when my caregiver will be required to drive me to meetings, outings etc. Assistance from my caregiver may also be necessary for me to complete my work related tasks. I am unable to sit or stand independently, and I have limited use of my hands. My health and safety are a priority. You will be fully trained on any additional medical equipment and/or needs.
The ideal candidate is patient, friendly, and dependable and has excellent communication skills. Technology literacy is a plus. You should be able to follow instructions and perform a variety of tasks to help me. You must also have a “clean” driving record and pass a Level 2 background check. No drugs or alcohol will be tolerated on the job.
Caregiver Skills and Qualifications:
Patience, Attentiveness, Concern, Empathy, Domestic Tasks, Listening, Communication, Dependable, Positive Attitude, Discretion, Punctuality, Friendliness, Writing, Reporting, Preparing Meals, Companionship, Cleaning, Driving clients accessible vehicle to and from work or outings.
Assist me with personal care and hygiene, including dressing, toileting, sponge bathes, showering, brushing teeth & shaving, positioning, as well as being alert to possible skin breakdowns from pressure.
- Plan and prepare meals and assist with feeding and cleanup. Monitor fluid intake.
- Assist me with ambulation and mobility around the house or outside (work, doctor’s appointments, outings, etc. as needed). Alert me to steps, curbs, obstacles etc. when I am operating my wheelchair in unfamiliar areas.
- Assist with repositioning in the wheelchair.
- Drive me to work and/or appointments etc. or accompany me on rides with the Dart transportation system.
- Use either the power lift or your own strength to put me in and out of my wheelchair and/or shower chair.
- Assist with my needs at home, at my place of employment, or out in the public, including feeding, toileting, etc.
- Accompany me when shopping (upon request).
- Perform light housekeeping duties including changing sheets, clean off tray table and keeping bath and bedroom tidy. Also clean dishes used for meal preparation for me.
- Be a pleasant, respectful, supportive and compassionate caregiver.
- Be willing to perform caregiver duties away from my residence, including at the home of my friends, family, and other locations, including my place of employment.
- When agreed to, give overnight care at my residence or other location.
- Report any unusual incidents
- Act quickly and responsibly in cases of emergency
- Adhere to health and safety standards
- Be respectful and compassionate
- Have good time management skills
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong ethics
- Always respect my privacy and confidentiality
- Physical endurance
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Possess a valid (Insert State) Driver’s license.
- Computer/smartphone skills a plus
- Complete background check including fingerprinting
- Turn in completed and signed timesheet at the end of each week